Monday, July 8, 2013

Not so quiet days of July

While most parishes and schools are experiencing some quiet days of summer, there have been lots going on since my last post, but I'll only be highlighting a few:
  • The Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, calling it unconstitutional. As one archdiocesan priest commented with posting this article, "if you want your priest and your parish to be faithful, it is imperative to call attention to the issues at hand and to support preaching & practicing the Truth"
  • Pope Francis has published his first encyclical "Lumen Fidei" (The Light of Faith)
  • Pope Francis also signed canonization decrees for two former Popes, John Paul II and John XXIII
For a little more lighter fare:
  • Many priests and parishes began the new fiscal year with new assignments. (just ignore the "draft" watermark, as I'm not able to remove it from the document)   Let us continue to pray for these priests and parishes going through transitions!
  • My good friend, John Michael Reyes began in his new ministerial position as the Campus Minister for Liturgy at Seattle University last week. We first met when he and I coordinated the Youth Convention Mass a few years ago. Since then, he has been a great friend to me over the years and we continue to share ministerial stories together.
  • After Priest Days (June 16-20) I took a week of staycation. Then after being in the office for only three days last week, I begin another staycation today. And...wait for it...I will have my last summer staycation August 5-9.
  • Most priests probably know this already, but there is a minor change to the collect of St. Kateri Tekakwitha, whose feast day is July 14th. Instead of saying "Blessed" we will now pray "Saint"

I hope your first few days of July have gone off to a restful and relaxing start and I pray that the rest of the summer is a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment