Thursday, February 28, 2013

Congress experience


Me and my uncle at the Claretian
Missionaries vocation booth
One week ago I was in Chehalis for a Rite of Election and within twelve hours was at the happiest place on earth. Across the street from it anyway. Held at the Anaheim Convention Center, across the street from the Disney theme parks, the Religious Education Congress is known as the largest gathering of Catholics in the United States. In reflecting on my experience at last week's Congress, I am at a place of deep peace and consolation. Everything brought me much joy and spiritually rejuvinated me as a lay minister, from simply seeing my uncle at their Claretian Missionaries vocation booth to the designated area of sacred space on the second floor to all the liturgical celebrations. I even had breakfast with the Director of Worship for the Diocese of San Jose.

My friend John Michael coordinated the Hawaiian Mass in the Arena, so he invited me to serve as an extraordinary minister for Holy Communion held in the largest space in the Anaheim Convention Center. This provided me an opportunity to see the behind the scenes of how a Mass in the Arena was coordinated. I got some fresh new ideas about how to prepare for Masses in a gym or hotel ballroom!

At first, the 200+ exhibits and booths were a bit intimidating, but once I walked around a bit, I was able to take it all in, and even considered purchasing a resource with weekday responsorial psalms.
Me with Fr. Jim Martin, SJ
The workshops I attended were spiritually renewing. The first one was on prayer by Fr. Jim Martin, SJ. Then one on ritual and putting meaning back into our Catholic rituals with ValLimar Jansen. The last day was on the universal call to holiness by Fr. Timothy Radcliffe, OP.

At each Mass, during the Preparation of the Altar and Presentation of the Gifts, the ministers took time to really prepare the Altar for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. It was at this time that the linens were put on the altar, people processed with the altar candles then set them into the candle stands. It really helped put more focus on the altar, to prepare for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

    

Overall, Congress renewed my spirit as a lay minister and provided me a tangible sign of the New Evangelization. Congress brought me to a deeper faith and belief in the Gospel and reminded me of the urgency to not only keep this joy to myself, but to proclaim it and spread the Good News to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment